Sunday, November 9, 2008

Adi-Mania

I am a movie buff. I don’t prefer sticking to any wood. Be it Holly or Bolly, I enjoy movies alike. And when I move on to the Bolly side of the wood, I can never forget my affair with two movies which I consider can never be re-made ever in the time to come.
It was 1995 when DDLJ hit the screens. It said “Come fall in love” and that’s what happened. A spoiled brat having deep rooted Indian values sees that all is done and goes to all ends he could have, for a girl about to get married, for the sake of achieving his love. A marriage gets halted. A father had to bend his ways. Traditions and promises had to wait and watch. Love triumphs and Raj and tyle:italic;">Simran become a history just for a beginning. It was a movie, so original in concept, that it’s really hard to even have another for a mere comparison considering love. The movie made history as the longest running movie ever. The music was perfect. You simply can’t better that. Direction comes from a media shy guy of 19, making a debut and what a debut it was. The most successful pair confirms their authority with an awesome chemistry at display. Apart from being a winner at all sectors of movie making, the tale glorified love like no other movie could have done. I can go on and on and on about it. I watched it a wobbling hundred and eighteen times and still feel that I should have scored more. It was not just about SRK or kajol, the presentation and approach towards the concept was so masterly, the dialogues so beautifully crafted, and everything was so perfect that it was admittedly the touch of a genius. It was all the way Aditya Chopra. I still have that one wish that someday I shall watch it on the big screen. I was too big at that time, to go for a theatre. I missed out the special Valentine’s Day screening of the movie at a nearby multiplex last/this year, but still am always ready to fall into such a love and am keeping a watch for it.
After five years, in the year 2000, Mohabbatein hit the screens. It said “Some love stories live forever” and that’s what happened again. This time it was Raj again, standing up to show us a completely different take on love. Once again the presentation was very different, one never seen before. Eleven scenes with dialogues delivered with intense and conviction glorified love. It was certainly the perfect sequel to a movie like DDLJ. Music was once again flawless. Gurukul was the word. It was a tale of love, surviving a generation, with memoirs of your loved one, dead. Thankfully I was able to go for a big screen experience. Although I had to return back eight times, I still had no regrets with having made other thirteen tries a success. Love was certainly in the air in those three and half hours. Those specs, those trousers and the way to have a jumper over your shoulder became a craze. I still remember, a bunch of thirty, going for a screening having zero power frames on. The movie had a feeling, and I can only wish that others might have experienced that. For people, yet to discover what love truly means, it was just another commercial hit. To me, it was a very different outlook on love and depicted in such a way just to make the point clear that love never dies. It was once again Mr. Adi through and through. I don’t think it would have been wrong had he said “Some movies live forever”.
And now, once again, after eight years of wait, when I see that its Adi again I simply can’t help feeling nostalgic about it. It’s planned for 12/12 and I am waiting for it to happen. Keeping everything aside starting from the SRK factor to the music/cast, I just want to see what a man can come up with after two genuine concepts on the same matter. Agreed that presentation will be the trick but still, having seen the way he has delivered, and the way he frames things, there has to be more to it. And I can only wish that I shall experience the same love in the air thingy in those three hours. As this one says “There is an extraordinary love story in every ordinary Jodi”, I just hope this is what happens again.

4 comments:

Priya_rose said...

I agree that Aditya Chopra is a good director. But you if compared him to others film critics would surely have more say.

DEEPANJANA NAG said...

hmm....hmmmm...hmmmmmmmmm....
agreedddddddddddddddddddddd
:)

Amit said...

yaar mujhe pata hai that u love to live in fairy tales.......hope this one matches up to your expectations...

Cabbie said...

Me not a movie buff but Sands commitment awes me. Rab ne... is everywhere. His discussion nou a days ends wit Rab ne... (the starting may be sumthing else). Downloading walpapers, videos, muzic,interviews (by neone he may even download the spotboys experience if available). Even i am excited about the movie... it will no where be closer to wot Adi did in DDLJ and even though i think Amir is much better tan Srk but still hav to accompany the Maniac,can't miss the climax... Hop the movie isnt tat gud...want to avoid revisits... :)