Thursday, November 13, 2008

A Proactive Text

I hate inspirational and self-help books. My affair with reading started from Sheldon and after having made a complete go for around seven to eight authors, am totally a fiction lover with my heart always rating Rowling as the best. A day back in my life, I got a chance to peek into one of those boring, dreamy, faith restoring books of self improvement and came across a word as the first chapter which I can never ignore in life. That word is “proactive” taught to me by someone I can never forgive in my life but still, just to have a look and to get the picture; I read on and ended up at page sixty-nine. Quite surprisingly, the text put up some questions which i still don’t have answers for. Let me share the thing. Hope every one turns out wiser than me. :))

As per the text, every one has his/her own internal freedom. Good or bad or best or worse, but every mortal has that freedom inside to project his perceptions in the way he likes and choose his/her own response. That freedom of choosing one’s own behavior to a situation or a scene is always with that oneself. No one can curb or take it. It’s totally at one’s own command. As a scene, I might want to react to someone’s saying in an instant in front of that very face or I might prefer terming it. So baseline, I have that freedom to choose my response. One might consider all these scenes stimuli for us to act. They are certainly which do trigger the cells in us. And as every stimulus has a reaction, and since every response is with us to decide, logically it gets proved that me, as an individual is responsible for all that I have and all that I have faced and done. On the road ahead, text has to say that responsibility can be split up as response and ability. One has two circles, circle of influence and circle of concern. Circle of concern has all that one can never do anything about and the other that of influence has got all that one can do. And to have yourself got counted in being proactive, you need to understand that proactive people are those who can subdue their stimuli and choose their reactions. There in lies their power and certainly can lead to increase of circle of influence. Phewwww!!!!!!

What is stated above is my version of points I remember after a night’s sleep and a day’s work. But there are questions to answer. If I certainly can choose my own response at my will to a situation, have I done that ever correctly? I can answer that……..I haven’t. What’s at stake if I start now? I can answer that too………nothing. So finally, did I try it for at least a day? I can answer that too…..yes I did and I already know the difference. What is it that can put me off-track? I can answer that……………….my heart.

Between stimulus and response is our greatest power…….the freedom to choose.

I carry on with a little change to certain things, to see how it fares. If hours can count, then it did well for the last twenty two hours. But, what I wonder is, can one certainly choose that inner freedom in a complete sense? Feel free to answer them for yourself. I have already answered them for myself and I know yours too. :))

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

dood...inspiration ke liye bas one thing needed....lakshya ki dvd....lakshya ko...har haal main paaana hai...

DEEPANJANA NAG said...

YOU SAID IT BEST....
:)
AGREED ALL THE WAY !

Cabbie said...

Moral of the Text:
We are Hypocrites... Toying the rules which wud benifit us. Its the Heart tat we alwayz listen to which overpower the mind and alwayz gives a reasoning which we accept to be suitable enough. Guys who are able to win over their heart generally succeed... bt ppl hu follow the heart might fail but are happy bcoz the decision tey took was theirs... no one to blame... our life our choice... mny a time i curb by instincts which is fruitful bt i suffer with agony and pain while others for whom the decision was mde rejoice... so be selfish... bcoz life is too short for regrets...